Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thank You!

I am back now from a visit to Lima, Peru. And from New York, and Newark, and Saratoga Springs.

Freud said that life is about Arbeitung und Lieben. Work and Love. And, to me anyway, these words have started to intermingle. I love my work, and I work to express my love.

At the deep level, I think we first wish that those we love know that we have tried to express our love for them. And of course, we never express this well, or just as each person would want. But we want each person to know that we *tried*, in our actions or words, to express it as well as we could to him or her. And particularly, of course, those that we care about most.

So, this is what I want to say today. Thank you!

Thank you to my family for putting up with my travels. And me.
Thank you to my friends (you know who you are) for helping me. It is my wish that you know how grateful I am.
Thank you to my course attendees and my clients for letting me do the work that I love so much. And, I hope, for being a small part of your life getting better. And increasing your ability to make others' lives better. This is to me a great satisfaction.

So, this also an admission of partial failure. None of you can know how much more I would have wished to express that well of water (as I will call it) that has been given me. There is so much more there, and I know how poorly it has been expressed.

And I know that what I have expressed or done has, oft times, fallen on deaf or partially deaf ears. It was not the right time, or the right phrasing, or it was too physical, or too dramatically stated, or too abstractly stated. It was said in metaphors that fit my culture or my nature, but not that fit your culture or your nature. Or was too quietly stated.

Each of us wants and needs things to be expressed or done in just a certain way and in just a certain time. And I know, too well, that I am not always able to do that. It is a sadness to me, that my actions or words could not have been more just what you needed. But a sadness that is just part of being human. I can accept it well. But today I do feel it.

But again I say, more happily: Thank you!

One can say it as: Muchas gracias! Merci beaucoup! Vielen Dank! Mille grazie! But in my own mother tongue it is: Thank you!

No comments: