Friday, December 4, 2009

Is Scrum perfect?

Sometimes I want our Scrumming to be perfect.

I want everyone to be happy, I want no arguments, I want ultimate Business Value, no mistakes, no wasted time, no re-work, no stupid ideas, no mis-understanding what the customer wanted, no muss, no fuss, no confusion, no chaos.

Then I heard again for the first time this song by Frank Sinatra. http://bit.ly/8Cyaml

Here is an excerpt of the lyrics:
The broken dates,
the endless waits,
the lovely loving and the hateful hates,
the conversations with the flying plates
I wish I were in love again!
(See here for the rest of the lyrics: http://bit.ly/7QoNA6)

If you ever have to go back to waterfall, you might say:
"I wish I were in Scrum again!"

What Scrum opens up and makes plain is all the ugly wonderfulness of real life. Where things are messy, where creation happens, where ideas are invented from who knows where. Where we fall in love for God knows what logical reason. It's crazy (to some degree), but c'est la vie.

C'est la Scrum.

Scrum stoops to wallow with us in our complex, blessed imperfectness. And helps us correct ourselves as we go.

No comments: