Monday, May 7, 2012

Taking Ideas on a Test Drive

I am a strong proponent of "show me the money."

In other words, there are lots and lots of ideas that sound good. And only a relative few that are really worthwhile. And we only know by trying to put the idea into action.

But even this basic scientific idea is not complete. I would agree that not all ideas are subject to proof in a scientific way. Even though scientifically it might be proven that murder were 'correct', morally I still am going to think true murder is wrong.  (No, Virginia, we are not going to have a debate on all the possible situation and moral permutations of killing a person.)

Here is a WSJ article about a new book, Uncontrolled by Jim Manzi.  Haven't bough the book yet, but the article makes it sound interesting.

And this is what lean-agile-scrum does. We try to do a series of small semi-controlled experiments.  To see if we are really on the right course.

If you have a problem reaching the WSJ article, contact me and perhaps I can send it to you.


No comments: