Monday, June 20, 2011

Business Value is a dream

There is a famous Taoist story about a person dreaming that he is a butterfly. And awakens and can't decide: Am I person who dreamt I was a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming I am now a person?

This is not the kind of dream I meant, when I used that word in the title.

"We are such stuff as dreams are made on..." This is more the kind.

Business Value is based on what people want. And I think that what they want is, for good and bad, mostly a dream. That is, they imagine they have a problem, and they dream of the 'perfect' solution. Well, perfect in the sense of the best they can dream. And it is this dream that they want.

So, we, who spend our lives trying to fulfill the customers' dreams, must accept that it is all about dreams. Dreams can change. Nightmares come and go.

And in our dreams as implementors (not customers), if we are as good at dreaming as, say, Steve Jobs, we will imagine the yet-more-perfect solution to the problem. Example: The iPad.

Some of us a very practical. This leads to many good results. But in dealing with dreams, perhaps we practical ones should dream more seriously.

Some people say that Business Value is all about money. But before the money, they must want to buy. And that is dreaming. That is evanescent. And yet it becomes brutally real. (Cf Motorla Zoom just about now. I think.)

No comments: